What We Offer
- Success Stories
- Professional Partners
What Partners Do
Hoenny Center Professional Partners notice individual differences in the teaching abilities of their preK-12 students and are excited about developing these abilities further. Here's how you can contribute:
- Observe students teaching other students and log your observations.
- Share observations, teaching tips, and insights about the peer teaching of your students with us.
- Develop materials and processes to improve your students' peer teaching and share them with us.
- Contribute to new research on preK-12 peer teaching and let us help.
- Create teacher-to-teacher support systems within your school building to devise ways that your students can grow in their teaching skills as they move through the grades.
- Reflect on your earliest memories of teaching and share them with us.
- Start a YouthTeachUSA program in your classroom and school. Click on the YouthTeachUSA link on the left.
Here are some examples of things to do:
- Describe peer-teaching actions at different ages and grade levels
- Catalogue the ways students listen, respond, guide, question, interact and assess the inquiries, questions and learning problems of peers
- Analyze and compare current classroom practices that provide opportunities for students to teach other students
- Share effective peer-teaching strategies
- Collect materials in the form of teacher observations, video clips, analyses of student interactions during peer-teaching/learning
- Talk with your grade-level or subject-area team about the teaching abilities of your students
- Lead meetings and give workshops on peer teaching
- Participate in our password-controlled Internet discussion list after you join our Professional Partners
- Discuss and encourage practices that motivate and improve teaching abilities in K-12 students
- Do action research on activities and processes that challenge students with outstanding teaching abilities or that improve the teaching skills of all students, and share your report through our web site
- Invite teachers to field test related curriculum ideas
- Review drafts of Hoenny Center-developed materials for teachers
- Include teaching/sharing/leadership skill development as a topic in your parent conferences
Questions? Contact Mary Bickel, Hoenny Center Program Coordinator, at MEBickel@aol.com.